- The Safe and Sound Protocol (SSP) is a listening program developed by Dr Stephen Porges, based on over 40 years of research into the relationship between the autonomic nervous system and social-emotional processes.
The five-day intervention addresses the following areas:
- Social and emotional difficulties
- Auditory sensitivities
- Trauma and anxiety related challenges
- Stressors that impact social engagement
The SSP involves listening to filtered music which retunes the nervous system (regulating state) by exercising the muscles of the middle ear, which leads to a greater sense of calm and safety and the ability to socially engage. Once interpersonal interactions improve, spontaneous social behaviors and an enhanced ability to learn, self-regulate and engage are often seen.
The equipment can be rented for home use for children between the ages of 2 and 13. For older adolescents and adults, the first session must take place in my clinic in Weston-super-Mare (Mondays and Tuesdays) or Bristol (Wednesdays and Thursdays). This session is included in the normal rental price.
The cost of the intervention is £190, to include the following:
- Rental of the listening program and equipment for 7 days
- Email support for the duration of the intervention and for the following two weeks.
Please note that in addition to the rental fee, I ask for a security deposit of £50, which is refundable once the equipment is received back in good working order.
In the event of total loss of the equipment by you during the rental period, you will unfortunately be required to pay for the equipment to be replaced (full Terms & Conditions here).
To find out more, please download my brochure: SSP Brochure Download